Monday, November 3, 2008

The Visitor

It was about 4:30 or 5:00 in the morning and I woke up to a clankity-clank coming from somewhere in our bedroom. I nudged John Jay, who very groggily informed me that it was probably just the wind. I tried to go back to sleep, and heard it again. But every time I turned the lights on....nothing. Fine. I'll just get up and drink my coffee - it was probably this old house creaking anyway. Five minutes later, I hear it again! John Jay couldn't ignore it this time. Plus, I told him that whatever it was would eat all of his books. That got him up. Then I heard him...."ooooOOOOOOooohhh.......my........GOSH!"

A rat/squirrel had jumped down our chimney and was walking along the top of the laundry basket that I left on the hearth. (He left little soot prints along the edge!) It was too dark and early to tell which critter it was, so we officially went with squirrel, since they are cute, crazy and a lot less gross than rats.
John Jay manned his post (from up on the bed with a broom in hand) for over an hour until our maintenance people could come board it up. Unfortunately, that is their long-term solution since the bricks around the chimney are crumbling and would have to be completely replaced to avoid more intrusions.

Ew. Plywood boards over the fireplaces? It looks like we live in an abandoned gas station.
Well, not anymore! My solution?











Why bother with messy, hot fires when you can have this beautiful, lukewarm addition year round!? Complete with hand-painted crown molding!



















The bedroom fireplace serves as a memento to our special visitor.



















Good-bye fireplaces, hello cheeky art.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

corrie, i gotta tell you i absolutely love your blog! your creativity is so inspiring!

JMBMOMMY said...

OMgoodness....I would have probably left for the night or forever! We had a bird come through the chimney once...bad enough..it was flying all around, running into things....and then we had something...(we decided a squirrel over rat too!) get in our wall once....we could hear it scratching to get out...seriously freaky. Then the noise stopped. WE moved! :) Love the art!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...